The purpose of the area community funds is to further the Foundation mission to enhance the quality of life of the citizens of Lenawee County, Michigan through permanent endowments by: identifying and addressing current and anticipated community needs; and raising, managing and distributing the funds in the areas of civic, cultural, health, educational, and social services.
The work in each community is coordinated by an Area Community Fund Advisory Committee, comprised of individuals who are representative of the geographic area. Consistent with all advisory committees of the Community Foundation, the Area Community Fund Advisory Committees broaden the Foundation Directors’ knowledge of charitable needs and philanthropy in the greater Lenawee community, and enhance assurance that the Community Foundation will be widely representative of its citizens.
Members of Each Area Community Fund Advisory Committee:
1. Promote the Fund and act as ambassadors to further the Lenawee Community Foundation mission in their community.
2. Develop financial resources to benefit their Area Community Fund.
3. Evaluate grant requests and make recommendations for programs, projects, and services in their community.
Recommendations from Area Community Fund Advisory Committees are reviewed and acted upon by the Lenawee Community Foundation Board of Directors, which is broadly representative of the entire county.
*Each area community fund covers the local school district, except the Adrian Area Fund which includes the 49221 zip code area.
Past Donations Given Through Area Community Funds
- $1,000 to the Addison Kiwanis for the Smith Park Restoration project
- $500 to St. Mary’s Food Pantry in Adrian
- $500 to Onsted Community Recreation Committee for safety equipment for youth sports
- $1,000 for the Blissfield Nativescape Project
- $450 to the Hudson Food Pantry
- $500 to Associated Charities for Keep Lenawee Warm
- $1,000 to Youth in Government in Onsted
- $1,000 for the Britton Community Playground
- $1,000 for the Roberts Ingold Memorial Library beautification in Deerfield
- $950 for the Thompson Memorial Park Playground in Hudson
- $1,000 to the Sand Creek Playground Project
- $450 to the Hudson Kiwanis Christmas baskets
- $1,000 to the Cambridge Township Fire Department for training center equipment, and mannequins for CPR training
Sample Language for Your Will or Trust:
As your professional advisor and you draft your estate plan or will, please remember the Adrian Area Fund – no matter how large or small your bequest. Following are some statements that can be used.
General or Specific Bequest – “I give, devise and bequeath to the Lenawee Community Foundation the sum of $_______ (or _____ %) from my estate to be used for the Adrian Area Fund.”
Remainder of Estate – “After all specified bequests have been made I give, devise and bequeath to the Lenawee Community Foundation all (or ___ %) of the remainder of my estate to be used for the Adrian Area Fund.”
Contingent Bequest – “I give the residue of my estate to ___ family member. If that person does not survive me, I give the residue of my estate to the Lenawee Community Foundation for the Adrian Area Fund.”
Please let us know if you have included a Lenawee Community Foundation Area Fund in your estate plan or will.
Have Questions? Contact Us for additional information or help!